Monday, July 26, 2010

The Beauty & Nobility of Misery and Suffering: My disturbing revelation


In a follow-up to our ongoing exchange of emails my Canadia Christian author friend asked me this about my feelings on AIDS deaths in Africa: “I'm very intrigued to know if you've considered why all of this matters so much to you.”

I found this shocking. Before replying I gave this a great deal of thought which brought me to a horrifying revelation. Here is my response.

Dear P,

You wonder why the issue of millions dying of AIDS in Africa is of such importance to me. To me and dare I say to all realists, the life we have is precious since it is the only one we ever will have. Thus we value it highly. Unlike Mother Teresa who said "The suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering," which I find obscene and perverse, we see no beauty, no nobility, no glory in the suffering of people. That's why the issue is so important to me.

But your question caused me to have a revelation of sorts. These poor ignorant 3rd world people are falsely told by the pope that condoms do more harm than good, and that the path to ending this epidemic is "belief" and devoting oneself to the ghost of some presumed ancient mystic. But the Catholic Church, and people who down play the importance of condom use instead favoring acceptance of Jesus, don't much care about the suffering or death of the millions.

What they, what you, care about, what your agenda is, what all your efforts are directed toward is converting people to Jesus ... "saving souls." If for every 1 million people who die because of lack of sex education and unavailability of condoms a dozen souls can be saved for Jesus then it's a small price to pay. Human life and the avoidance of suffering isn't precious to people like you, the pope or Mother Teresa, because this life is but a staging ground, preparation, a test of sorts, for the "real reward" in your fictional heaven.

Oh yes, you / they pay it lip service. You'll praise the missionaries for mopping the sweating brow of a dying AIDS child. You'll wring your hands and shed crocodile tears over the multitude that will die. You'll protest that Christians have done so much to ease their suffering in the throes of death. But the reality is these lives are being sacrificed on the altar of religious ignorance ... for a "higher purpose." Their lives aren't precious; their souls and the afterlife take precedence.

P, in my last email I called you cavalier about the millions dying of AIDS. I was wrong, you aren't cavalier. You and those who think this way are knowingly complicit in their deaths.

You want to save their souls? Then save their only life with proven science, THEN do your evangelical proselytizing thing. To do otherwise is a kin to a doctor withholding proven treatment and instead lecturing about watching his cholesterol and getting more exercise while the man is dying from a massive heart attack. It's immoral.

Now I don't mean to offend but I think I am onto something here that I expect you will protest and dismiss as totally fallacious. I’ll understand that. Nevertheless, I've come to know the Christian mind pretty well through my many readings and over many years. I dare say that it would be impossible for you, or others who think in these terms to openly admit as true what I have come to realize (at long last) is clearly at very root of this whole issue. It disturbs me.

Regards,
Bart

22 comments:

NewEnglandBob said...

I have said for a long time that some of the most immoral people are the very religious ones.

NewEnglandBob said...

Why does this no longer give me the email follow-up check box when I need to log in?

Dromedary Hump said...

Bob...
And yet I don't think they even recognize the immorality of it. To them it is a norm. Grotesque

re email f/u: I don't know, I didn't change anything :S

Den!s said...

I had heard that mother theresa wanted to be with the dieing children because it put her closer to jebus, not to help the children. That was the most disturbing thing I had ever heard, until you refined it further. I am no longer disturbed, I am full on appalled now.

DSJulian said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dromedary Hump said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dromedary Hump said...

Den!s,
I used to think mother teresa was a charitable and giving woman. I found out later she was simply a tool of the church's delusion and deserves little if any respect.

Anonymous said...

I am sure that Christ has nothing to do with this message.

NewEnglandBob said...

Is that because you asked him, Anonymous?

DM said...

Hump


We have orders to EXTERMINATE you and your entire family if continue to talk about GOD and RELIGION the way *you do*

do you got the msg, you stupid little fucker?


this is your *FINAL* warning...

Rachelle said...

Excellent post, Hump. :)

Dromedary Hump said...

DM,
I hear the virgin Mary serviced the entire centurian contingent stationed in Israel. Thus,Jesus was likely the bastard child of a syphilitic Roman private.

You and he have something in common evidently. How's that workin for ya? My zip code in NH is 03602, ask for "The Camel" ... shouldn't have too much problem locating me. :)

Dromedary Hump said...

Rachelle,
Thanks !

NewEnglandBob said...

"I hear the virgin Mary serviced the entire centurian contingent stationed in Israel. Thus,Jesus was likely the bastard child of a syphilitic Roman private."

Actually she serviced the night soil collector for the army.

Anonymous said...

Re: DM's psychotic posts. Conveying a death threat is a criminal offense under Canadian law. It might be time to have a chat with the RCMP about this character.

I figure it's only a matter of time before DSJulian heads down a similar path. The underlying mental defects seem to be pretty much the same - the only difference is a matter of degree.

NewEnglandBob said...

More about David S. Julian:

His Facebook profile: status: married; Interested in: women. Now there is a good Christian hypocrite for you.

Did you look at his "Day Jewel" web site ( www.dayjewel.com )? He has 2 books, self published, one is online and is full of shit. The other hasn't broken into the top 5,000,000 on Amazon yet.

Dromedary Hump said...

Bob...LOL. yes, I caught both of those.
He hasn't sold a book yet, and in an email to neo, he's now offering them for free :)

I didnt realize amazon even had 5 million titles, i always thought it was like 2.5 million. With my book being at 30,000th in books, that puts me in the upper 1% of all book title sales. Nice to know. :)

Den!s said...

get your Eternal Earth-Bound Pets people ready Hump.... verily, the time is nigh

http://www.wecanknow.com/

hehe

(sorry for being off topic)

Anonymous said...

Den!s: Sorry, can't make it on May 11, 2011. It conflicts with other plans. Who should I email to get that Judgment Day thing rescheduled? :D

Dromedary Hump said...

dEN!S,

Yeah, saw this on another blog.I was going to increase my pet rescue prices before the Mayan calender end of world idiocy Dec 21 2012, but now I better get ready for May 2011... I expect a big rush from the religiously defective.

Anonymous said...

DM, your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

NewEnglandBob said...

DM said: there is a lot of sh*t to flush!

You are the shit that needs flushing, DM, so go flush yourself.